Economic Overview & Business Opportunities
Situated in the ‘golden triangle’ connecting Asia, Africa and Australia, Mauritius is the converging point of global civilizations – a place where one can feel the cosmopolitan pulse of the world.
Mauritius has throughout the last decade forged a strong reputation as a premier International financial centre. Since the inception of the Global Business sector back in 1992, the securities sector has developed to become one of the fastest growing sectors with over 569 licensed global funds having an aggregate net asset value (NAV) of just over US$50bn.
The use of the Mauritius route to set up fund structures (collective investment schemes) has seen a recent surge especially in the wake of new funds and securities regulations bringing added confidence and impetus to Mauritius as a jurisdiction for funds domicile. The combination of the relative low rate of domestic corporate taxes and its double taxation avoidance treaty network – 38 such treaties – makes Mauritius one of the preferred routes for foreign institutional investment to countries such as India and China, as well as countries on the African continent.
• Impressive track record, political stability and more than 3 decades of sustained economic growth
• Secure investment location with established rule of law
• Freest and most business-friendly country in Africa
• Peaceful, multi-ethnic with a unique lifestyle in a blend of cultures
• Flexible, bilingual (English/French) and skilled workforce
• Investment-friendly regulatory regime
• Open to foreign investors and talents
• Ocean State with one of the largest Exclusive Economic Zones in the world
• Preferential market access to Africa, Europe and the USA
• State-of-the-art infrastructure
• Convenient time zone (GMT +4)
Founding Partner and Chief Executive Officer at CAPITAL HORIZONS LTD (2012-present)
• Capital Horizons is a financial services company, licensed by the financial services commission
• The company has won numerous awards namely the prestigious “corporate finance Adviser of the year” for Mauritius by Acquisition International, a well-known UK publication.
• Over the years, we have focused on combing fiscal optimization through the creation of offshore structure while maximizing on what the Mauritius jurisdiction has to offer, namely debt restructuring through the international banks that are present in Mauritius.
• This has allowed number of clients to decrease their cost of debt, using interest rate swaps. Moreover, cross border financing has allowed our clients, to generate an offshore war chest which can use for international investments while choosing in which jurisdiction they wanted to keep their assets tied.
• We have focused our entire business model on Africa, Capital Horizons is through its DNA a cross border, African entity with joint Mauritian and South African shareholding. We have heavily invested to knit a network which comprises of high level contacts in almost all sub Saharan countries. Today we put this network at the reach of our clients.
• We have seen our business grow client by client and am proud to say that we now manage over 100 structures (trusts, Mauritian GBL1 and GBL2 companies, Mauritian domestic companies, Seychelles IBCs, and Singaporean companies). We now have UHNIs, multinationals, and listed companies amongst our esteemed client base.
• Inspired by these achievements we are constantly investing in our infrastructure through a secured cloud based ERP system on which our clients can monitor all their transactions, accounting, NAVs and request. Furthermore our R&D team is constantly developing new models using our Double Taxation Avoidance agreements and we are now specialising in IP and Royalty models in IP and Royalty models.
Co-founder and non-executive Director at ECOBIOTECH LTD (2010-present)
• With the introduction of the Maurice Ile Durable concept, Shaan teamed up with a top 100 company of Mauritius, The Joonas and Co to establish Ecobiotech.
• In August 2014, Ecobiotech has been invited by the Central Electricity to supply 10 MW of electricity in the north of the island as it made the lowest offer ever received by this institution for the supply of solar energy.
• Shaan is ECOBIOTECH’s representative on numerous national committees involved in the renewable energy and sustainable development fields, amongst which the working group on Energy for the Maurice Ile Durable commission and the Technology Action Plan and Project Idea report within the Technology Needs Assessment Project.
Marketing Finance Manager, Indian Ocean Islands at BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO (2007-2009)
• Responsible for managing the marketing budget for Indian Ocean Islands (Mauritius, Reunion, Seychelles, Comoros, Mayotte and Madagascar) which is in excess of GBP 3.5 million yearly with a reporting line to regional office in Nairobi, Kenya. (Above Market reporting)
• Review portfolio mix through pricing strategy of available brands to ensure best volume/margin mix.
• Actively contributed in government engagement to allow for tobacco excise reform from tobacco content based to single tier.
• Responsible for financial reporting of IOI performance to parent company (U.K) through extensive use of the following set of software: Hyperion Financial Management – Oracle based software – attended international training, COGNOS – attended workshop with the Developers in Nairobi, KENYA and SAP.
• Tracking and forecasting of economic indicators and BAT performance throughout the Indian Ocean islands.
• Engagement with stakeholders with respect to Service Level Agreements and Key Performance Indicators review for BAT’s distributors.
• Attended Contingency Management training
• In Addition to monthly meetings in Nairobi, Kenya, travelled extensively in the Indian Ocean Islands and attended seminars in Dakar, Senegal.
Head of Trade, member of the board of Directors at FINLEX (MAURITIUS) INTERNATIONAL LIMITED (2006-2007)
• Reported to the Chairman, Sir Victor Glover, former chief Justice of the Republic of Mauritius
• Define product portfolio and add value by offering new services with higher profit margins.
• Added innovative product to the original legal advisory company to turn it to a full-fledged indemnity and reinsurance firm.
• Defined strategy for marketing, advisory services and develop client base
• Responsible for providing financial information to the Board and stakeholders
• Responsible for managing the marketing and administrative staff.