“If a man is keeping an idea to himself, and that idea is taken stealthily or by trickery – I say it is stealing. But once a man has revealed his idea to others, it is no longer his alone. It belongs to the world.” ― Linda Sue Park, A Single Shard
Businesses nowadays are driven by innovation, if you do not innovate, you do not grow. One of the growth of a business can also be driven by patenting your “innovation”. A patent is a legal document that gives the right or authority of a field of research, an invention or any other processes to a person applying for it. The patent is the right granted to the ‘owner’ of the invention, and it can be anything ranging from product to services. A patent gives its owner the right to prevent others from making, using, importing or selling the invention without approval. The Patent protects an invention, and grants to the owner the exclusive rights to use his/her invention for a limited period. e.g.: – Band-aid, electric iron, safety pin, ball point pen, telephone etc.
- The U.A.E. Patent and Design Law 17/2002 (amended by the U.A.E. Industrial Regulation and Protection of Patents, Industrial Drawings and Designs Law 31/2006), containing 74 articles, was issued to protect industrial property and encourage industrial innovations which are imperative for the economic growth in the U.A.E.
- The U.A.E. is a member of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property (September 19, 1996) and of the PCT (March 1999).
- Patent is protected through registration with the IPPD, Intellectual Property Protection Department under the Ministry of economy OR through the GCC Patent Office of the Gulf – Co-operation Council located in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Routes of the UAE patent system:-
- A National Route: – Requires filing a national Application directly at the UAE Patent Office.
- A Regional Route: -Requires filing a GCC Patent Application, which ones granted, would in principle cover protection in the six GCC countries.
- The PCT Route: -Requires the filing of a Patent Application directly or within 12 months period from the date of a first application which is valid in all contracting states of the PCT, making simpler, easier and more cost-effective than others.
ADAM Global, understand the value of your investment of time, hard work, intellect and money which you put to come up with an invention. Our lawyers are always willing to take those extra steps that are necessary to establish your patent in your invention and to make sure that your patent is secure from outside infringements.
“Patents are those blank cheques which one can claim anytime for being the first to invent the last.”- Zahid Iqbal